Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rock-hard things

Last week, my brother asked me to write a letter to my nephew, letting him know my favorite things about him. He was going to a retreat, and these letters would be read to him during the weekend.

Well...let's just say that exercise taught me something. Had you asked me before that letter-writing experience what my favorite things about my nephew were, I'd have had to stop and think awhile. (Not that he isn't a great kid...he's amazing.) But, writing about them caused them to come into focus for me. Today, if you asked me, I could rattle them off...just like that.

I think that's one reason I keep posting on this blog. It helps bring into focus God's unending love and faithfulness through every circumstance of my life. Even the rock-hard things...

No...especially the rock-hard things.

I've mentioned before the amazing group of women I get to be with every Thursday. Well, yesterday, as I was writing our next lesson on the Covenant, God showed me something. I think I'm supposed to share it with you:

At the very beginning of Abraham's journey of faith, God promised him that he would one day possess the land of Canaan. Several times over the course of Abraham's life, God reminded him of this promise of land. (In the agricultural society of Abraham's time, land was everything.)

But, ironically, the first piece of land Abraham acquired was because of a small "war" over scarce water resources. And, the second piece of land was acquired when his beloved Sarah died.

Both of these first land acquisitions were the result of rock-hard events that came into Abraham's life. But they were also, undoubtedly, part of God's plan for possessing the "promised land" that was part of God's covenant promises to him.

At first...when I thought about this irony, it seemed...well...odd. But, the more I think about it, the more I realize that's exactly how God works in the lives of His children on their journey of faith through this upside-down Kingdom.

He never promises this covenant life with Him will be easy. Only that He will even cause the "rock-hard" places of our lives to work out for our ultimate good...to help lead us closer to Him.

When I was a little girl...sitting on the pew at the Kimberly Church of God...every once in awhile someone would ask my mama to sing a particular song. I always wondered why it made her and others cry one minute and shout the next. But...I don't wonder anymore....

In shady, green pastures, so rich and so sweet,
God leads His dear children along;
Where the water’s cool flow bathes the weary one’s feet,
God leads His dear children along.

Some through the waters, some through the flood,
Some through the fire, but all through the blood;
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song,
In the night season and all the day long.

Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright,
God leads His dear children along;
Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night,
God leads His dear children along.

Though sorrows befall us and evils oppose,
God leads His dear children along;
Through grace we can conquer, defeat all our foes,
God leads His dear children along.

Away from the mire, and away from the clay,
God leads His dear children along;
Away up in glory, eternity’s day,
God leads His dear children along.

Some through the waters, some through the flood,
Some through the fire, but all through the blood;
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song,
In the night season and all the day long.

("God Leads Us Along," written by George A. Young, 1903)

"I will exalt you, Lord, for you rescued me.
You refused to let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
and you restored my health.
You brought me up from the grave, O Lord.
You kept me from falling into the pit of death.
Sing to the Lord, all you godly ones!
Praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime!
Weeping may last through the night,
but joy comes with the morning.
When I was prosperous, I said, “Nothing can stop me now!”
Your favor, O Lord, made me as secure as a mountain.
Then you turned away from me, and I was shattered.
I cried out to you, O Lord.
I begged the Lord for mercy, saying,
“What will you gain if I die, if I sink into the grave?
Can my dust praise you?
Can it tell of your faithfulness?
Hear me, Lord, and have mercy on me.
Help me, O Lord.”
You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing.
You have taken away my clothes of mourning
and clothed me with joy,
that I might sing praises to you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!"
(Psalm 30 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment