Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A little birdie told me...


So I was going to write about my Mimi again today, but a little birdie told me a friend of mine is celebrating a special birthday. Oh well, it would be fine with Mimi to get "bumped" for this friend. She'd like him.

You see, Garrison Porter--that's him standing next to his dad--came into the world 18 years ago today. When he arrived, right away he had to start dealing with a couple of "things" that cause him to have to work a little harder than some folks.

But, instead of becoming angry, bitter, closed-off...Garrison has become more wise, more strong, more real than many of us. He's never let having to work harder get him down...or at least, if he has, he's never stayed down. And that in itself has encouraged the rest of us.

Garrison is one of the most passionate people I know...about things that really matter. He loves the message of the Gospel--he's never lost his fascination with the true but astonishing story that God wrapped himself in skin and came to earth...was born....showed us how to live...then died...then was resurrected back to life...all so that we could know this Jesus...be with this Jesus. Garrison's love of this timeless story makes me want to hear it with "new" ears.

Garrison loves his family. Every now and then, I get to peek in on the loving bond he shares with his mom and dad and his younger sister and brother.

Garrison loves his friends--of all ages--he even makes us "old folks" feel like we're still just a little bit cool.
Garrison loves to cook--something that definitely makes him a man after my own heart.

And he loves history...especially ANYTHING to do with the presidents who have led this great country of ours. One highlight of his life was when his dad, Richard, took him to the Reagan Library in California.

Often, when his mom, Dawn, tells me about one of Garrison's latest ventures, I remind her (and myself): "We're gonna say we knew him 'when' one day."

Of course, Garrison would be the first one to hop into this blog and tell you that his mama has been a loving, faithful, fearless warrior on his behalf these past 18 years. That's just what mamas do. (Dads too, of course, Joe Pack  ;-D.)

So, Garrison Porter, HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY! We can't wait to watch you live out the rest of the amazing story God is writing on the pages of your life.

"For I know the plans I have for you, (Garrison)" declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
(Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment