Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Every Morning....

Isn't time funny?

This morning, as Honey and I talked over our first cup of coffee, we were trying to remember WHEN certain things had happened. What we realized is that it seems like certain things--whether good or bad--happened YEARS ago and, at the same time, only a few months ago.

But...our conversation got me to wondering about WHEN I started writing this blog. And, I went back and found that it's been four years! At the time, I intended to use it as a way to make myself write. As a wannabe writer...people keep telling me, "Writers HAVE TO WRITE...whether they feel like it or not." But...confession time...I've not been faithful to do so. 

But, as a friend reminded me this morning, "His mercies are new every morning." And, especially on this brand-spanking-new-first-morning-of-the-year, I feel like picking up some old dreams and dusting them off and breathing new life into them. 

So...if you'd like to join me as I write about my journey...our journey...through this upside-down kingdom, check back from time to time. I'll be sharing things that family and friends sometimes ask me to share--thoughts about being a Jesus-follower and what that means as I also try to be a wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, in-law, friend. I'll also share some dadgum funny stories from time to time, with a few recipes and some music and wise words from people much smarter than me thrown in for kicks. 

In other words, I'll share the things in life that I enjoy the most and/or am learning from the most. Feel free to share back!

For today, I thought I'd share my recipe for New Year's Stew. Don't worry, I'm NOT one of those foodies who grow their own organic gardens and use ingredients from some far-eastern country. SHHH...don't tell anyone...but I FREQUENTLY use things that come in CANS for most of my recipes. 

And, for "dessert," some beautiful words from one of my favorites to encourage all of us as we start out on this brand new year.

New Year's Stew
Leftover ham 
     (...For the pork that Southerners believe they're REQUIRED to eat on New Year's. Of course, you could always use turkey, etc.., but don't blame me for a lack of luck.)
1 (32-oz.) box chicken broth
1 can Margaret Holmes Seasoned Mixed Greens (drained)
2 cans Margaret Holmes Hoppin' John
Any leftover veggies you have from the holidays (I used carrots and celery in this batch.)

Combine all the above in a crock pot and cook until veggies are tender. 

Of course, any stew is best eaten with homemade cornbread; so, my recipe for that is below. 

Karen's Homemade Cornbread
Preheat oven to 400. 
Get out your cast iron skillet and pour in a small layer of vegetable oil.
(If you don't HAVE a cast iron skillet, then...you'll just have to use Saltines...and...WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???)
As you're mixing up the following ingredients, heat vegetable oil on the stove and sprinkle a light layer of corn meal, cooking until golden.
In a separate bowl, combine the following:
2 large handfuls self-rising corn meal
1 large handful self-rising flour
1 LARGE heaping Tablespoon of Duke's mayonnaise (Thank you, Shawn LaBelle, for being my supplier.)
1 egg
Stir together with enough milk that it is not too thick but not too thin.
Pour into cast iron skillet and bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. 
This is best eaten HOT...and slathered with butter.

And...now...for "dessert":
"I know all about the despair of overcoming chronic temptations. It is not serious, (as long as you do not allow) self-offended petulance, annoyance at breaking records, impatience, etc., to get the upper hand. 
No amount of falls will really undo us if we keep on picking ourselves up each time. Of course, we shall be very muddy and tattered children by the time we reach home, but the baths are all ready, the towels put out and clean clothes are in the cupboard. The only fatal thing is to lose one's temper (with one's self) and give it up. 
It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us: it is the very sign of His presence."
(C. S. Lewis, from "Letter," January 20, 1942)

Happy 2013! My hopeful prayer for myself is that the Jesus in me will become more...and I will become less...that He will help me grow in freedom and fruit.









No comments:

Post a Comment